Monday, July 26, 2010


We saw the first baby whale today. It couldn’t have been more than a week old, Allan guessed. It was tiny. I tried to take some video of them on the surface, and it’s a good thing I’m practicing, because when reviewing the footage, I had pressed play when it was supposed to be stopped and stopped when it was supposed to play. So, unfortunately, I got some nice shots of people’s feet and the boat, but none of the whales. I should have it down for future attempts. The mother whale (cow is what they’re called) wanted nothing to do with us, so when we saw them surface again, they were a ways from the boat, so we let them be.

I did some island exploring yesterday and got some macro shots of some of the flowers and am starting to feel more comfortable with my underwater system with the macro photography. I’ve found some creatures, which have been very cooperative and have allowed me to creep closer and closer. I have also been trying to fill in my amazing biking tan that is still there since last summer on my legs, and while doing so yesterday, I got a splotchy burn on the upper portion (can’t say I’m too surprised though, as I’m pretty used to having amazingly bizarre tan lines (if that’s what you can call them!))

Happy birthday to my cousins Marcus and Ashlee… they’ve had two birthdays actually since it was yesterday, here and today in the States! Who knew that someone could be so lucky!

We’re going out on the boat tomorrow, so fingers crossed that we get some cooperative whales.. and that hopefully I can get in the water with them!!!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely LOVE the fish-eye pics! (Whoever told you not to get that lens is silly. You should probably disregard all future comments/suggestions from that person.) Your photos are amazing -- and it sounds like you're settling in nicely!! LOVE YOU! xoxo claire

    ReplyDelete