Saturday, July 31, 2010

Rainbows and Whales

I swam with whales today!!! The sun broke through, casting bright colored rainbows over the ominous dark clouds. The winds shifted, and the waves calmed, so we were able to get out to see the whales. We saw about 20 whales on the surface, but most of them were males chasing the females, or pairs of whales that were moving too quickly to have a long encounter. We finally found five whales, which were sticking in one general area and were able to hop in with them two different times. It was amazing. Just being in the water with animals of this size is such an incredible feeling. They move with such grace and power. I was told that it was just a taste of what’s to come, as these encounters were brief. So cool! I was so distracted (and excited) by looking for the whales that I forgot to reapply sunscreen on my face (the only exposed part of my body) so unfortunately, my face is glowing with a nice shade of tomato red! Good day.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds incredible!
    Splottchy tan is par for the course. ;)
    Pictures are amazing, can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. swimming with whales AND getting a sunburned face? that's a successful day in my book! :) LOVE YOU -- this all sounds incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO awesome. SO jealous. Just started watching Shark Week on Discovery Channel - be careful!

    Miss you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing pictures Elizabeth. Gosh If I was near an animal that big I think I'd forget more than sunscreen!

    ReplyDelete