Friday, November 12, 2010

Falling out of airplanes and living to blog about it

having survived the jump - photo by Dave
Liz parachuting down - photo by Dave
I never realized that falling out of an airplane at 12,000 feet could be so exhilarating. Having a fear of heights made the anticipation beyond terrifying. My palms have never sweat more in my entire life. I hardly slept the night before, and I've never trusted a random stranger with limited English vocabulary more. Allison jumped first, and I had the privilege of watching everyone plummet out of the perfectly good aircraft before going last. My instructor is probably now deaf in one ear, but I now understand why Dad loved it so much. I would definitely do it again... Sorry Mom.
Allison after landing - photo by Dave

photo by Dave
The views parachuting down were absolutely spectacular. The sun was shining and I could see lake Wanaka surrounded by the snow capped mountains. It's also a plus that we survived the fall. We really enjoyed Wanaka. We met up with one of my friends, Gen, and had a really nice dinner, tasted some wine, and watched the sun set behind the mountains from a grassy knoll overlooking the lake.








Fox Glacier - photo by Dave or Allison




We began our 4 hour drive up the West Coast up to Fox Glacier after our breakfast of gourmet scrambled eggs which was fit for a king... One of many. We hiked to a few different vantage points to explore the glacier and then for the last two days we have been hiking the Coplan Track. The hike took us 7-8 hours to get to the Welcome Hut Flat where there was not only a place to sleep, but also 3 natural hot spring pools. It was incredible. A cool breeze came in when the sun had set which also blew away the brutal sandflies, so we were really able to fully enjoy the view. We had a nice soak which loosened up all our muscles after our full day of hiking so we were not too sore for our return hike the following day. We hiked over 8 bridges (which was Allison's favorite part) and crossed 108 streams (yes, we counted!).


photo by Dave


Liz and Allison soaking in the hot springs - photo by Dave



Welcome Hut Flat on the Coplan Track



Today we drove up the coast and inland to Murchison, staying at the Lazy Cow hostel (which is very homey), and are going white water rafting tomorrow as Dave's pre-birthday celebration.    

Allison almost got arrested for hopping the fence to take photos of sheep. I was so proud.


4 comments:

  1. awesome!! did you wanakabob?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the same Copeland track when I was there, and stayed at the hut! So glad I now know someone else who can relate to the challenge of that hike, plus the incredible beauty of the surroundings. Never known a hot spring to be such a reward!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think of was poor Fredrica when I read the subject of this blog!
    What's a mother to do?
    Loving the photos and stories Liz - keep em' coming but take a little pity on your dear Mom! : )
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely amazing, Elizabeth! Congrats on another fantastic adventure. I absolutely love the picture of you coming out of the plane - you really beat that phobia into the ground, didn't you! :-D I love reading about your adventures - thanks for sharing, and keep having 'em!

    ReplyDelete