Thursday, March 10, 2011

Buenos Dias Argentina


And the journey continues.... Dave and I are now in Argentina!  Dave has been "tweeting" updates and photos, so for a more day to day update, follow him on Twitter: http://twitter.com/dmbarry87  

We flew into Buenos Aires where we spent a full day recovering from the jet lag, exploring el centro, and butchering our way through the spanish language.  It's nice to be on the road again!  We seem to be a little rusty as there have been a few kinks so far in our travels, the main one being not setting our alarm two hours behind and thus missing my 5:45am flight to El Calafate.  Somehow, luck was on our side and Dave made his flight and I was able to fly standby and got on.  I don't understand how people can handle the stress of flying standby.  What a nerve racking 15 minutes of waiting to see if my name was called, although it was incredibly rewarding when it was!  I felt as though I had won the lottery.

So now, we are very far south in the world in El Calafate, Patagonia.  The land is flat and arid, reminding me of parts of Texas except that enormous, jagged, snow-peaked mountains appear on the horizon.  The wind rips through the area too, and so far has taken my black yoga pants off the clothes line (thought to be incredibly secure) with it.  We wandered around the small, touristy town and partook in some of what El Calafate is known for, particularly the chocolate and steak!  I am fighting off a cold, but the Malbec wine is soon to be experienced as well.  Sometimes it's really tough, but hey, someone's got to do it!  




Today, we went to the Puerto Moreno glacier which was amazing.  Pathways take you very close to the glacier which is one of the largest in the world and is still growing.  Large chunks of ice break off continuously, crashing into the aqua water below sending huge splashes and loud thunderous echoes.  It made for an amazing sight.  We are off to the gem of Argentinian Patagonia, tomorrow - El Chalten. 




2 comments:

  1. I have been waiting patiently for news and pics of your adventures in South America. It was well worth the wait. Thanks Elizabeth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz,
    Good to hear from you again. This is wierd because just the other day I thought about you and wondered where you were. Looking foward to some more beautiful pictures. Stay safe!
    -Dave

    ReplyDelete