Saturday, August 21, 2010

I stood up on the board when kite-boarding today! We won’t linger on the fact that it was only for about 5 seconds before falling back into the water… but I stood up!!! Ed spent the entire day (literally… we went out at 9 and finished at 4) teaching me how to do upwind drags, powering the kite during body drags, getting up without using a board (where I proceeded to get about 3 pounds of sand in the bottoms of my swimsuit), and finally getting up with a board. It was fantastic. Even with sunscreen, these seven hours also allowed me to work on my amazing tan – or should we say burn – lines. It now looks like I have red gloves on and it feels as though I am wearing a clay mask since my entire face got quite a bit of sun. I now just need to practice a lot, and then who knows, perhaps you will be hearing from the next kite-boarding extraordinaire.


We’ve had a great last few days. The whales are starting to be a bit more friendly, and curious it seems. Two days ago we swam with five adult whales (one female and four males), who came incredibly close. I finally got some shots that I’m excited about. Yesterday, we swam with a mom and tiny calf, which probably wasn’t older than a week old, with three males chasing them around. If those pesky males weren’t bothering her, I bet you anything the mom and calf would have settled down to rest and allowed us to have a really nice, long encounter. Oh well. I’m looking forward to the next few days.

4 comments:

  1. Liz,

    I'm loving all of your stories and photos! Keep them coming....please!
    What an amazing adventure - for an amazing "kid"
    xox,
    Lulu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Liz,
    It has been so great following your journey in the waters!
    It has inspired me to search for whales here in Muskoka.
    So far, no sightings, but still searching...
    Much love,
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, it was such a pleasure to meet you and swim with the whales- thanks for your amazing photos...and it's great to read your blog :-)
    Emma Siossian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got to read your blogs. Was away at camp. Your whale encounters have been awesome. Looking forward to your next blog

    ReplyDelete